The St Helens TSA lead for Maths Hub NW3 would like to invite all Head Teachers and Senior Leaders to the following Leadership briefings in the spring term 2018.
- Supporting schools for the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)- this session will help schools to comply with your responsibilities to information rights in school, colleges and universities. The session will be delivered by Dmitrije Sivovica (Browne Jacobson) on Wednesday 17th January 2018, 1-4pm at The World of Glass, St Helens.
- WOWS Marking and Feedback Project- The session will be delivered by Phil Edge (HT at Newfold CPS, Wigan) on Wednesday 7th February 1.30-3.30pm at The World of Glass, St Helens. In October 2014, the DfE launched the workload challenge. This was a month-long survey asking teachers for their views on how to reduce unnecessary workload. Analysis of the survey identified marking as one of the three most burdensome tasks impacting on teacher workload. As a result, the DfE set up the Marking Policy Review Group to look at marking practices in schools that are raising standards successfully while reducing marking workload. The Group’s report was published in March 2016.
Following discussions about the potential impact of new approaches to marking and feedback noted in the Marking Policy Review Group Report, the WOWS Consortium put together a reflective research project to evaluate their current marking procedures and consider a range of alternative methodologies across member schools.
The intended aim was to develop and evaluate alternative ways of working that could be disseminated across all schools in the Consortium and beyond. The project was also viewed as an opportunity to implement a programme of reflective research that is seen as an essential element of an evidence based profession. The session will give you a practice approach on how you can adopt and adapt a similar approach in your schools.
- Safeguarding Awareness Refresher Training – This session will be delivered by Linda Smith (Safeguarding and Well-being SLE) on Thursday 1st March 1-4pm at The World of Glass, St Helens.
The session will focus on:
Signs and indicators of abuse
Specific safeguarding issues
Safer working practices
- To recognise the signs and indicators of the four main types of abuse
- To know what to do when you suspect a child or young person may be experiencing, or is at risk of, significant harm
- To develop an awareness of specific safeguarding issues
- To ensure that the school setting and staff protect and promote pupils’ welfare
Legislation and guidance
Serious case reviews
- To understand the legislative framework underpinning child protection work
- To be able to discern lessons that can be taken from serious case reviews to improve both personal and organisational practice
- To understand the importance of information sharing
Duty to refer
- To understand best practice when dealing with disclosures
- To know how to make an accurate and effective record of concerns
- To understand the responsibility placed on individuals to refer concerns
The above are the statutory elements that have to be covered in Safeguarding Refresher training however mental health, adverse childhood experiences and anecdotal information with be included in the presentation.
To reserve a place on any/all of the leadership briefings please contact: Sarah Makin (Senior Administrator TSA): firstname.lastname@example.org or Paula Foster (Administrator): email@example.com
Target Audience: Head Teachers, Governors with specific responsibilities, DHTs, AHTs and other senior leads.
The cost of the Leadership briefings is £50.00 per session including all course materials, tea/coffee and biscuits. The sessions are FREE of Charge for all alliance members.
For additional information regarding any of the training offers don’t hesitate in contacting- Lisa Bradshaw (Director of The St Helens Teaching School Alliance) Lisa.firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to working with you and your schools in the future.
Director of the St Helens Teaching School Alliance and NW Maths Hub 3
Director of School Improvement- Three Saints Academy Trust