The St Helens Teaching School Alliance English Training Programme 2018-19; all training has been arranged in response to the scoping exercises carried out by the alliance, responding to local and National priorities.
The training package includes: (please see documents below for further details)
- Planning for Writing– including fiction and non-fiction and teaching GPS in context: EYFS-Y6.
- Spelling – KS1 and 2
- Reading- Pulling the content domains apart and looking at question stems, How to balance test technique and reading for pleasure, Pitching the book a the right level, When are children fluent readers? Recognising strategies to secure this and teaching Vocabulary through text- KS1, LKS2 and UKS2
- Moderation- Year 2 and 6 (in two parts)
- Year 2 and 3 Reading for Stamina
- English- What is Mastery and how do we ensure depth of knowledge? KS1, LKS2 and UKS2
- Inspiring TAs- providing effective support
- Reciprocal reading – this is an effective and proven approach to developing reading and comprehension. To be used as an intervention. Y2-6 Teachers and TAs.
In addition to the training listed above we are continuing the termly English subject leader meetings. The first SLs meeting will Wednesday 7th November, 9:30 – 3.30pm at The World of Glass, St Helens, Chalon Way E, Saint Helens WA10 1BX
The session will focus on:
- Visiting author: Alison Wilcox (author of Descriptosaurus). Alison will lead a session on writing and vocabulary.
- Implications for teaching Post 2018 tests and implications for 2018-19 in KS1 and 2.
- National Updates on current thinking.
Head Teacher/SLT Briefing– implications for teaching English Post 2018 tests. An insight into implications for future KS1 and 2 provision. Free to all alliance members.
NEW for 2018-19: Excellent English Teacher Programme- These sessions are aimed at excellent English teachers/subject leaders/SLEs/PDLs who have the potential and drive to achieve excellence in English practice and the ability to develop others. The programme will be delivered over 7 sessions (see flyer below for further details)
Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Reminder: Have you secured a place on the Celebration of English Conference– a focus on improving reading and Oracy? Only 10 places remaining: 15th June 2018.
Schools that have signed the alliance partnership agreement will receive 25% off all training courses and will receive a ‘free’ place on all the English subject leader network meetings.
All training is provided by Maddy Barnes. Please see pen portrait attached.
If you are not a member and are interested in finding out more then please contact: Sarah Makin (TSA administrator) or Lisa Bradshaw (Director of the St Helens TSA and National Maths Hub NW3).
If you wish to book on any of the following sessions please email: Sarah Makin (Senior Administrator): email@example.com or Paula Foster (Administrator): firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information regarding any of the training offers don’t hesitate in contacting- Lisa Bradshaw (Director of The St Helens Teaching School Alliance): email@example.com
We look forward to working with your school in the future.
Director of the St Helens Teaching School Alliance and NW Maths Hub 3
Director of School Improvement- Three Saints Academy Trust