NW Maths Hub 3 would like to invite all Primary Maths Subject leaders to a PLYT session– what is PLYT and how can it be used?
PLYT is about being your best not the best at maths, so it gives lower attaining mathematicians confidence and helps create a “can do” attitude. It’s perfect for use across the entire school Yr1-6, for mixed ability classes and also for families to improve parental engagement.
A few PLYT highlights below:
- PLYT improved the maths of a Yr5 class in Warrington by an average 19%, playing just 1 hour per week (on a Friday afternoon!) for 5 weeks. Importantly 100% of the children said that they felt more confident with numbers from playing PLYT.
- PLYT has been proven to improve maths in a family environment: independent researchers – Askyourstaff – proved that playing at least once a week for just 6 weeks improved the maths of 7-13 year olds by 30% and adults by 22%. Read more here
- PLYT has been endorsed by National Numeracy (and is recommended as one of the best games on their family maths toolkit) and also by leading maths consultants
- PLYT is easy to play and yet is incredibly flexible – it can cover much of the KS1/2 curriculum and increases confidence with numbers
- PLYT is already used in many schools and they’ve had great feedback from teachers
- Most importantly children love playing PLYT and don’t realise they are doing maths – it’s maths by stealth!
The session will take place on: Monday 20th February 2017, 1.30-3.30pm at St Mary and St Thomas’ CE Primary School, Barton Close, St Helens, WA10 2HS- TSA POD, situated at the rear of the school.
Focus: to ensure that all teachers know how to use the game for their individual class and get the most from the resource.
Target audience: Maths SLs and Teachers.
Cost of the session: Free of charge, there are 20 places available, these will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis.
To reserve a place please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is more information for schools on their website here but the Chief Plyter is Lisa McCartney and she’d be happy to help with any questions you may have about the game. Please don’t hesitate to contact her via email email@example.com or on 07956 352926 for more information.